Welcome to Glorietta’s lunch program, Gopher Gourmet!
Gopher Gourmet provides healthy, delicious, and low-cost food choices for our students and teachers five days a week! While providing each bright, young mind with the best lunch possible, Gopher Gourmet also aims to educate Glorietta students about nutrition, utilize produce from the Glorietta garden, raise awareness of proper portioning to minimize food waste, support local businesses, and get kids excited about healthy, fresh food! Furthermore, all of the profits that Gopher Gourmet generates go straight to the GPC to fund and support growth in the Glorietta Community.
The 2016-2017 lunch program is run by our two kitchen managers and a dedicated team of parent volunteers:
Kitchen Managers: Erin Chapman and Shihyi Hong
Parent Chair: Katie Thomson
Email Notifications: Aileen Burgoyne
Reporting and System Maintenance: Martine Neijadlik and Amy Campbell Brown
Gopher Gourmet Ordering and Menu Information
Parents choose their student’s order online on our ordering portal three times a year. Prior to each session, they can pre-order an entree item and/or “add-on” items their child(ren) will be provided from the cafeteria window for approximately 10 weeks:
- Entrees are things like chicken tenders, paninis, sushi, tacos, etc.
- Add-ons are things that would accompany an entree item from above or a packed lunch, like smoothies, parfaits, fresh pressed juices, wholesome baked goods, etc.
After receiving their entree item from the Glorietta kitchen service line, the students visit the Variety Bar— a help-yourself buffet stocked daily with an array of fresh, healthy foods. Here children explore and select from a rotational, seasonal selection of at least 7 vegetables, 7 fruits, and 3 proteins:
- Fruits options include: apples, pears, oranges, tangerines, peaches, plums, pineapple, fresh mango, dried mango, raisins, applesauce, watermelon, melons, bananas, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc.
- Vegetable options include: carrot sticks, cucumber, caesar salad, roasted broccoli, snap peas, bell peppers, roasted cauliflower, sweet potatoes, peas, fresh cut corn, avocado wedges, roasted potatoes, etc.
- Protein options include: hummus, cheese, edamame, tuna salad, hard boiled eggs, organic lunch meats, etc
More specific and helpful information can be found on our new tumblr page: http://gloriettagophergourmet.tumblr.com. Here you will be able to explore our menu, find answers to your questions, see example photos of entree items, and find updates on all the exciting new things happening in our lunch room. Please use this new resource before, during, and after the registration process!
Gopher Gourmet begins serving lunch on Monday, August 29. Session 1 Registration will run from August 15 to August 23 at 10pm. After reviewing the information on this page and visiting our tumblr page, click HERE to be linked to the Gopher Store and click on the link to the left to order for Session 1!
No late orders will be accepted so please log on as soon a possible! There will be a change period where parents will be able to amend or add to their order starting the week of September 4 but please note that parents are only able to change entree options within each individual day and that no refunds or credit can be given!
Gopher Gourmet Volunteer Opportunities
Gopher Gourmet depends heavily on parent volunteers to sustain and improve our program. Our volunteer positions provide a fun opportunity to see your kids at lunch, meet new members of the Glorietta community, and give back to the school! No food handling experience needed. We are actively seeking volunteers to fill a variety of positions:
- Kitchen Volunteers work in teams of 3 from approximately 11:00-1:30pm. During this time volunteers team up to prep food, serve lunch, hang out with the students, and help clean up after service is over. Each volunteer comes into the kitchen between 4 and 6 times a year, about once every 6 weeks, for approximately 2.5 hours.
- If you are interested in working in the kitchen but cannot commit to the 4-6 shifts listed above the Gopher Gourmet team is also looking for parents and family members that are able to “substitute” or fill in for absent volunteers on a as needed basis. If you are interested in being put on a substitute list, you will be contacted when the regularly scheduled volunteers are not available.
- Produce pick up volunteers pick up food from Whole Foods Lafayette on Wednesday mornings and deliver it to school by 1:30 or pick up bagels from Noah’s Lafayette on Mondays and deliver them to school by 10am.
- Laundry volunteers pick up the dirty laundry outside the kitchen on Friday’s, launder it, fold it, and return it to the kitchen by 9am Monday morning.
Please click HERE to sign up now! We can’t wait to see new parents in the kitchen in the coming year!
Questions and Comments?
Gopher Gourmet is a dynamic, continuously evolving program that is run by a spirited group of individuals that share a passion for nutrition, education, and the success of our students! We encourage and ask for your feedback, questions, and ideas on how to continue to build upon the success of Gopher Gourmet! Please do not hesitate to contact our kitchen manager, Erin (firstname.lastname@example.org) or our parent chair, Katie Thomson (email@example.com).